I thought I had satisfied my pumpkin craving with my last pattern made with velvet yarn. But sometimes I just cannot get ideas out of my head and I wanted to see what combining front and back post double crochet would look like in a pumpkin. So during Friday night movie night with my kiddos I whipped up this quick and easy pattern. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 ball of chunky yarn (#6) in colour of your choice. I used Bernat Softee Chunky. Approximately 50 yards.
- Small amount of light weight (#3) yarn in brown colour. I used Lion Brand Coboo in Taupe.
- 5.25 mm and 3.00 mm crochet hook.
- Tapestry needle.
- Small amount of stuffing for pumpkin and stem.
This pattern makes a pumpkin that is approximately 4″ wide by 3.5″ tall plus stem.
ch – chain
sc – single crochet
dc – double crochet
fpdc – front post double crochet
- yarn over, insert hook behind the post of the next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through 2 loops, yarn over and pull through the last 2 loops on the hook.
bpdc- back post double crochet
- yarn over, insert hook in front of the post of the next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through 2 loops, yarn over and pull through the last 2 loops on the hook.
slst – slip stitch
Use a 5.00 mm or 5.25 mm crochet hook and chunky weight (#6) yarn.
Leaving a long tail, ch 29, join to first chain to work in the round, chain 2. Note: The ch 2 at the start of each round will count as the first stich
Round 1: In the next ch and each ch after, dc. You will have 30 stitches including the ch 2. Join to the top of the ch 2 at the start, ch 2.
Round 2: Starting with the next stitch, then bpdc *fpdc, bpdc, bpdc* and repeat around, place a fpdc in the last stitch, join and ch 2.
Round 3 to 8: Repeat Round 2. Fasten off leaving a long tail.
With a tapestry needle, sew a gathering stitch along the bottom of the first row with the long tail from the start of the work. Pull tightly to cinch closed, secure and weave in end.
Stuff pumpkin then use the tapestry needle to sew a gathering stitch along the top with the long tail from the end of the work. Pull tightly to cinch closed, secure and weave in end. Note: the top does not have to close completely as a small hole will be covered by the stem.
Use 3.00 mm crochet hook and light weight (#3) yarn.
Note: the stem is worked in continuous rounds
Round 1: sc 6 in a magic circle. (6)
Round 2: 2sc in each stitch around. (12)
Round 3-7: sc in each stitch around. (12).
At the end of Round 7 place 2 slst, fasten off leaving a long tail. Sew onto the top of the pumpkin, covering the middle, secure and weave in the end.
As always, feel free to make this for personal use or sale, however, remember to give me credit for the pattern by linking my FB or IG accounts (One Knotty Dog). Please do not distribute copies of the pattern or my photographs without my permission. If you would like a downloadable PDF of the pattern, it is for sale on Ravelry (buy now) and Etsy. I would love to see all of your creations! Tag me or use the hashtag #oneknottydog or #rusticpumpkins. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!